Skin icing? You can do it with green tea, black tea, and even coffee.
There are a lot of beauty products nowadays, such as facial cream, toner, moisturizer, soap, etc. Though they are effective, most of these products have chemical compounds which can damage your facial skin. Especially, to those people who have sensitive skin. Some of the beauty products are naturally produced but they are very expensive.
The good thing is, you can actually make homemade beauty products with natural ingredients and is very affordable. Who would not want natural and easy beauty products which you can just make in the comfort of your home?
Is ice good for your skin? In this article, you will be able to know the benefits and advantages of facial ice cubes for everyday use, especially, for summer. Also, you will know different ingredients you can use for your own skin type.
Advantages of Skin Icing
Cold thermogenesis is a practice of exposing your skin to cold temperatures that can actually help you in various ways. Cold thermogenesis is not a new thing, study shows that this method was already used since the 1800s. Ice baths helped as a sport and injury therapy to help heal and regenerate strained and overworked muscles. But ice baths are not that recommended nowadays, because, aside from the hassle of getting a bathtub full of ice, it is not good to submerge your entire body into freezing cold water, and you probably won’t last that long either. But you don’t have to do those things to achieve cold thermogenesis, you could just use ice cubes or ice baths on your face, and it works the same!
Benefits of Cosmetic Ice Cubes
- Skin icing can reduce inflammation. The coldness of the ice cube will restrict the flow of blood and influences it throughout the body and eliminates the strain of inflammation in joints and muscle tissues. It can also help to ease puffiness around the eyes which can make your skin look healthy.
- It can tighten facial pores. It minimizes the pores on the skin and tones your face to make your facial skin look smoother. The ice cube on your face can also eliminate bacteria because it helps in unclogging the pores caused by excess sebum, dirt, and pollution.
- Skin icing can help in burning fat. It is known that an ice bath promotes the burning of fat, but that necessarily means that if you use facial icing, it won’t burn fats all over your body. Because the vagus or cranial nerves run from the brain to the nerves of the heart, digestive tract, and skeletal muscles, and once the nerves have thermogenesis because of facial icing, it can influence the nerves to burn fat all throughout the body.
- It is easy to make and very cheap. Aside from the effectiveness of this skincare, another good thing is it’s very affordable and easy to do. Just fill a bowl with water and ice to make a facial ice bath, or you can make ice cubes by filling up the ice mold tray with water, then put it into the freezer, once it became a cube of ice, just gently run it all over your face. If you want, instead of making simple ice cubes, why don’t you make it with a twist? Just add some natural ingredients, freeze it, and massage your face with ice cubes.
Green Tea and Skin (Matcha Green Tea and other green tea)
- Green tea has EGCG antioxidants and antimicrobial properties. EGCG can lower lipid levels which makes it effective in reducing excess sebum in the skin that causes the clogging pores that stimulate bacterial growth. We all know that acne is the result of sebum excretions in the skin, and green tea can slow or stop the development of acne. Green tea ice cubes are best for oily skin.
Black Tea Skin Benefits
- Black tea has skin clarifying and antioxidant properties. Black tea helps in flushing out the toxins from the skin which makes the skin clear and flawless. It is also a great moisturizer that helps to tone the skin while removing fine lines and wrinkles. Black tea ice cubes can also be used as an antiaging serum.
Coffee Ice Cubes
- Coffee improves blood flow and widens the blood vessels that can help the skin to tighten and minimize pores. It also contains antioxidants that can help in protecting the skin against ultraviolet rays. Caffeine has a property that boosts cell re-growth which improves hydration in the skin and increases its elasticity.
How to Make Ice Cubes for the Face
- Put a teabag/coffee into hot water and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Open the tea bag if you want to put some of the leaves in it (optional).
- Pour the tea/coffee into an ice mold tray and freeze it for 3 hours.
- Massage your face with tea/coffee ice cubes in a circular motion to prevent your face in sogging.
- Once done, wash your face with cold water and pat it dry. Apply moisturizer if needed.
NOTE: Though ice cubes for facial use are known as one of the best remedies for acne, puffy eyes, and enlarge pores, this doesn’t mean that it is effective with everyone. Always remember to use clean materials and natural ingredients. Use it properly for it may cause irritation to your skin.