At times, it might feel like information and products on skincare is never-ending. You think you’ve found the right combinations, brands, and application processes. Then, you discover additional products that might make you feel like you need to spend more money and time, or else your routine won’t be complete. Some of these products might not even be things you apply directly to your face. In this instance, we’re talking skincare refrigerators. Sure, they sound like a good thing to have. Some of them can be pretty inexpensive. They’re insanely cute, most of them in pastel shades with compact little handles and shelves. But the real question here is: is a skincare fridge worth it?
Are Skincare Fridges Worth It?
If you follow a lot of beauty accounts on Instagram, you’ve probably come across this trend. Mini fridges appear in many social media posts, stocking hefty amounts of products inside. You might be asking: what is the point of a skincare fridge? Well, the device’s immediate goal is to keep products nice and cold. But do you need a skincare fridge? Long story short: no. Skin-benefits-wise, there isn’t really much to cooling products. Before a product is released to the public, it undergoes extensive stability testing to ensure it won’t decompose at room temperature. Additionally, testing to ensure the product won’t lose its efficacy even once opened is done. In fact, refrigerating some ingredients may cause them to spoil quicker due to constantly changing temperatures by being removed and returned to the cool enclosure.
However, placing certain skincare products in the fridge may have other benefits. Some individuals enjoy the feeling of applying cool products to their faces. They might also have a soothing and relieving effect on irritated or sunburnt skin. Nevertheless, there are a few products that make the exception. Some dermatological creams require refrigeration for proper storage.
Additionally, beauty products with organic ingredients tend to perish much faster if not stored properly in the correct temperatures. Though these organic beauty products have grown in popularity over recent years, they generally do not use safe and FDA-approved preservatives. The lack of use of these preservatives has led to problems with stability, such as soiling, oxidation, and safety.
Actual Benefits of a Skincare Fridge
So after reading the paragraphs above, you may be wondering if there are any real benefits to owning a skincare fridge.
Since we’ve already covered that having one isn’t really necessary, let’s briefly share some reasons why you may want to anyway:
- It adds a nice cool touch to your skincare routines. Many people opt for putting their eye pads and creams in the fridge to simulate cold cucumbers.
- It may extend the shelf life of products with certain ingredients. These include retinol, vitamin C, and benzoyl peroxide formulas.
- Also mentioned above, cooling specific products before applying them might help soothe irritated skin, sunburns, and sometimes certain rashes. These products will give the user a sense of relief, that’s for sure.
- It makes for an excellent place to stash face masks.
- It helps free up space in both your bathroom cabinet and fridge. You’ll no longer have to make back and forth trips to the refrigerator while applying your daily skincare routine.
- Cooler temperatures tend to keep bacteria away.
- It looks really cool! Let’s admit it, the aesthetic a skincare mini-fridge brings with it is hard to beat.
- It gives you somewhere else to store your products aside from the same place you keep your onions, eggs, and other perishable food items.
- If all else fails and you end up seeing no benefits skincare-wise, you can always just use it as an actual mini fridge for refreshments!