Realistically, though, teeth whitening is often expensive and not covered by many healthcare providers, as it’s often considered cosmetic and unnecessary. Not everyone can afford it, but luckily some home remedies can help whiten and reduce the risk of developing yellow teeth.
Human beings are complex creatures. We have a way of socialization and life that no other animal on this planet has. Facial expressions can show other people how we’re feeling and what we’re thinking. Our smile is a perfect example.
A person’s smile is perhaps one of the most notable features on our face and usually a determining factor towards our self-esteem. People often feel insecure or embarrassed when their smiles aren’t “perfect” (to society’s standard), such as crooked and yellow teeth. Crooked teeth are often fixed with braces or aligners. Additionally, teeth whitening is an available option commonly performed at a dentist’s office.
Why do our teeth get yellow?
Yellowing of the teeth happens gradually and for several reasons. Although yellow teeth alone are luckily not a sign of severe medical issues, they can result from bad habits and lifestyles.
- Aging: One of the most common factors for yellow teeth is age. It’s a natural process caused by our teeth’ thinning enamel as we get older, revealing the dentin underneath (a yellowish-brown material found inside our teeth and under the enamel.)
- Smoking: Arguably the number one reason behind most yellow teeth. The tar from tobacco can cause poor oral hygiene and rapid thinning of our teeth’ enamel barrier.
- Diet: Certain foods and drinks can also be the culprit. Coffee, dark sauces, and curries often contain a chemical known as tannins. This chemical has blemishing properties and is usually responsible for the decoloration of a person’s teeth if they consume these darkening products regularly.
Remedies for Yellow Teeth
It can be incredibly frustrating to look in the mirror and see yellow teeth. Especially when many people don’t have the funds to afford professional teeth whitening. Here are a few tips to both whiten your teeth and prevent them from yellowing in the first place. Keep in mind that you need to be careful while using some of these remedies, as you can damage your teeth if done incorrectly.
- Brush your teeth: Seems obvious, right? Surprisingly enough, many people have poor oral hygiene habits, and they don’t even realize it. We should brush our teeth at least twice a day for 2-3 minutes or after every meal (mainly if the food contains tannins.) Using an electric toothbrush might speed up the process, as well.
- Baking Soda + Hydrogen Peroxide: Mix 1 tbsp baking soda with 2 tbsp hydrogen peroxide to create a type of toothpaste. Brush normally and rinse your mouth thoroughly afterward. You can also substitute hydrogen peroxide with water. These ingredients are said to remove plaque buildup and bacteria and get rid of stains.
- Fruit Peels: Some people claim that rubbing banana, orange, or lemon peels on their teeth tends to whiten them due to substances such as citric acid. Rubbing a peel on your teeth for about 2 minutes and rinsing thoroughly afterward could lead to whiter teeth. Although, this is not recommended to be done repeatedly. Only for an “emergency” situation.